About Me

My photo
Canada
I'm a concept artist/illustrator.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

April and Umbria

Here is the piece that I've been working on... to be honest I liked the messy sketch better. I think my work looks too "digital" sometimes, kind of uninspiring. Plus I hate how the parasol turned out, oh my. Aaanyway, apart from that, and the dress, and the headpiece, I like it. I really like the face.







Next is a commission done for a very sweet client. I actually did a lot of this in painter! I think working in real media has unintentionally made me better with this program, possibly because it works more like real media :D

I like the colors in this one.


That's all I have to show atm, I've been reading a lot, I picked up Classical Drawing Atelier and Classical Painting Atelier by Juliette Aristides. For someone with no formal training like myself the books are really interesting. Unfortunately I'm not in the position to go to an art school (I'd have to move etc.) but there is a Bouguereau workshop at the Academy of Realist art in Toronto. I'm going to try to make it to that! I love his work.. though I'm not entirely sure how to pronounce his name (boo-shur-oh?)

4 comments:

Holly said...

I liked the pose of the sketch better but this is still a lovely job. I love this character <3

I'm also amazed at the hairdo of the girl in the commission.

agustin said...

I love that first picture, it's pure awesomeness! Another good job by katiee;]

Bob Bello said...

This is my favorite. I save it to my desktop. It sorta talks to me ;-)

Heather Conover said...

Katie,

I met you at MIGS last year, and I've been following your blog since. You do such incredible work, and I love to observe your technique.

If you ever do make it to art school, you'll blow them away, I'm sure.

Best of luck.